Salt Lot Compost Processing Day: A Master Composter Volunteer Activity
Wed Dec 21 2022 at 10:00 am to 01:00 pm
Gowanus Canal Conservancy Salt Lot Facility | Brooklyn, NY
About this Event
Join the NYC Compost Project Hosted by Big Reuse to volunteer at our urban composting site in Gowanus. Volunteers will bag finished compost, break down paper bags/sticks/yard waste into appropriate sizes for composting, decontaminate food scraps and chop whole fruits or vegetables in preparation for the compost pile, and help maintain the site in a variety of ways.
Please dress comfortably and wear closed toed shoes and clothes you don't mind getting dirty.
We are located at 2 2nd Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215, at the end of 2nd avenue.
There is no public parking at the work site. Please find street parking in the area.
Event led by NYC Compost Project Hosted by Big Reuse.
Registration is required to participate in this event. Please make sure to use the same name and email for all Master Composter Certificate Course events.
Cancellation / No-Show:
- Please give ample notice in case you are no longer able to attend an event you’re registered for so that we may offer your slot to someone else.
- Failure to give notice will be considered a no-show for the event.
- Repeated no-shows may result in being barred from attending future events.
- Lateness may result in being denied course credit for and/or participation in a workshop/ field trip. In cases where you are denied course credit, you will need to retake the workshop/ field trip in order for it to count towards your certification.
- For volunteer events, you will only receive credit for the amount of time you are present for the activity.
- If you are not feeling well, please refrain from attending any in-person event, and notify the course administrator at your earliest opportunity to avoid receiving a no-show.
- Registration is required to participate in all Master Composter Certificate Course events.
- We cannot guarantee your admittance to a Master Composter Certificate Course event if you aren’t registered for it. Failure to register may result in being denied course credit for and/or participation in the event.
About the NYC Compost Project Master Composter Certificate Course
The NYC Compost Project Master Composter Certificate Course is an advanced compost education and outreach program. The course is designed to build a citywide network of educators, advocates and community composters to support NYC Department of Sanitation composting initiatives.
To become a Certified NYC Master Composter, registrants need to complete all requirements (7 workshops, 2 field trips, and 30 volunteer hours) within one (1) year from their start date. This activity counts toward the thirty (30) total volunteer hours required for the Master Composter Certificate. For more information, including how to register for other opportunities, please visit makecompost.nyc/mastercomposter.
When you register for a Master Composter workshop, volunteer activity and/or field trip, you will receive email notifications for future Master Composter events.
Where is it happening?Gowanus Canal Conservancy Salt Lot Facility, 2 2nd Avenue, Brooklyn, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays: