NYB Audition Workshop registration - MAC, Birmingham
Sun Feb 12 2023 at 09:30 am to 03:45 pm
Midlands Arts Centre | Birmingham, EN
About this Event
After the success of 2022’s re|generation season, NYB is thrilled to return in 2023 with an exciting new two-year model, providing young dancers with the unique opportunity to develop their skills and working relationships with NYB practitioners, ahead of a full scale public performance season in 2024.
2023’s season will be fully residential at Elmhurst Ballet School, and will provide a stimulating and immersive opportunity for dancers, choreographers and rehearsal directors to collaborate, create and develop, culminating in an in-house performance for an invited audience, including friends, families and industry professionals in the Elmhurst Studio Theatre.
The 2023 residency is designed to be a standalone experience, allowing performers to hone and develop their skills. The content we create in 2023 will then be developed as a part of the 2024 season and we therefore encourage dancers who are interested in auditioning for the 2024 performance season to apply.
In 2023, the selected dancers will form a company, participating in a six day residency at Elmhurst Ballet School, culminating in a performance in Elmhurst’s Studio Theatre for an invited audience of friends, family and industry professionals. Dancers will have the opportunity to:
- Take part in daily company class with an inspiring range of teachers and choreographers.
- Learn some of NYB’s dynamic repertoire, performed in previous seasons and revived for the 2023/24 season.
- Participate in an invite-only performance for friends and family and a range of industry professionals.
- Develop work with several established choreographers, gaining an insight into a range of creative processes.
- Work with up-and-coming choreographers taking part in NYB’s Beyond Ballet® scheme, offering the exciting chance to be part of a young choreographer’s vision at the very beginning of their career.
- Take part in our in-house Frank Freeman choreographic competition, which will be judged by special guests from the ballet industry. The competition has previously been adjudicated by artists including David Bintley and Tyrone Singleton.
- Take part in NYB’s Moving Minds sessions, in order to support, develop and nurture each young person’s confidence and personal development.
The Audition Workshop
We understand that auditions can be an intimidating process for young dancers, but they are also a key part of life as a professional dancer! To enhance dancers’ skills, our Moving Minds team will provide a short workshop before the audition to help each participant perform to their full potential. These confidence building skills will be useful for all future audition experiences. In addition the dancers will have the opportunity to learn and perform a short piece of repertoire at the end of the audition.
Audition time slots
9-11 yr olds - 9.30am-11.15am
12-14 yr olds - 11.30am-1.15pm
15-18 yr olds - 2pm-3.45pm
Residential rehearsal period: Elmhurst Ballet School, Sunday 13th August -Saturday 19th August 2023
Performances: Elmhurst Studio Theatre, Birmingham, Saturday 19th August 2023
What the audition will involve
- 5-minute Moving Minds workshop focusing on handling nerves and being the best you can be!
- 60-minute ballet class with a professional teacher.
- 25 minute repertoire class enabling dancers to show their performance skills and pick up skills.
NYB believes that by nurturing the widest possible talent pipeline we will build a space where young people can create the ballet of the future. If you are passionate about ballet and want to be part of our community, we’d love to meet you.
Where is it happening?Midlands Arts Centre, Canon Hill Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Event Location & Nearby Stays: