Juneteenth: A Celebration of Freedom
Sat Jun 17 2023 at 12:00 pm to 12:45 pm
Oakland Cemetery | Atlanta, GA
About this Event
For its Juneteenth 2023 celebrations, Historic Oakland Foundation is proud to debut a new tour focused on the lives of African Americans after gaining freedom and as they worked toward economic development. This Reconstruction Era tour of the African American Grounds includes the stories of African Americans who reconstructed their lives after emancipation and went on to shape Atlanta’s rich legacy of African American history, culture, and achievement. You'll hear from actors portraying several residents as tell their stories and share how they navigated new times.
This tour takes place as part of Historic Oakland Foundation's Juneteenth Family Festival - June 17, 2023, 10:30 AM - 1:00 PM. Be sure to come before your tour or stick around after to enjoy the fun!
Location and Parking
- This walking tour begins in the African American Burial Grounds located inside Oakland Cemetery. Be sure to give yourself time to walk (10-minute walk) or catch a golf cart shuttle to the grounds. Signage will direct you to the location.
- Complimentary parking is available in the gravel lot adjacent to the Oakland Cemetery main gate at 248 Oakland Ave SE. Parking inside the cemetery around the event is unavailable.
- Not all areas of Historic Oakland Cemetery are wheelchair accessible. The main entrance is paved with cobblestones, and both the East Gate and Memorial Drive Gate entrances have either a step or curb.
- There is designated parking for vehicles with a disability permit in the parking lot.
- ASL interpreter available if given at least 3 days (72 hours) notice.
Where is it happening?Oakland Cemetery, 248 Oakland Avenue Southeast, Atlanta, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays: