Jo's 16th Chili Cook-Off
Sun Feb 05 2023 at 12:00 pm to 03:00 pm
Jo's Coffee | Austin, TX
About this Event
Registration begins here. Join us for the 16th Chili Cook-Off benefitting Free Lunch on February 5, 2023 from Noon - 3 PM. Rules & Guidelines are below, make sure to read before registering.
How the event works: Chili Tasting wristbands are $25 and are available the day of the event. The chili tasting and dancing starts at Noon with live music from Jeff Hughes & Chaparral + the Jo’s House Band. Hanging out is free, so come enjoy the day and listen to some great live music. Winners will be announced at 3 PM.
Rules & Guidelines
- The parking lot will be open from 7 to 9 AM for unloading. At 9 AM we will ask that all cars be moved to parking spots on S. Congress, James Street, or one of several paid parking lots close by.
- You may begin cooking as soon as you are set up.
- Space is limited, so please register early. Registration will close on Friday, January 19 or when all spots are filled (whichever comes first).
- Each team is expected to make a minimum of 8 gallons of chili. All contestants should be prepared to supply samples to paying spectators.
- At noon your chili should be ready for public sampling and we will begin selling "tasting wristbands" which entitles guests to taste your chili. We will provide each team with the necessary sampling containers and spoons.
- The City of Austin requires that only chili team members are allowed in the food prep and serving area. We will provide you with two tents and two tables for your team. We strongly urge you to consider this when planning your setup and team members.
- The City of Austin Health Department requires each team to have a hand washing station, dishwashing station, trash cans and thermometers. The hand washing station consists of a water jug with a spout, hand soap, hand sanitizer, and paper towels. You must set up a hand washing station in your tent. The dishwashing station consists of 3 bins. One with dish soap, one with water, one with sanitizer solution. You must also provide a thermometer. Failure to pass health inspection may result in disqualification from the contest.
- We will provide tents, trash cans, and two tables per team. You will be responsible for bringing all other items you need including extra tables, cook tops, heat and fuel, etc. No power will be provided on-site, and no generators are allowed.
- The City of Austin also prohibits open flames. *Five foot + hoses required as propane canisters need to sit outside of the tents
- Chili must be cooked from scratch, on-site the day of the cook-off. Pre-prepped (sliced/chopped) vegetables and meats are allowed. Any and all fillers will be allowed (beans, rice, hominy, etc.) No pre-cooked meats are allowed. All meat must be cooked on site.
- Each team will be expected to follow the "Temporary Food Service Requirements" issued by the Austin/Travis County Health and Human Serviced Department. We will also provide each team with a "Temporary Food Establishment Permit." We will reach out with more information about this after registration.
- In the event of inclement weather, we will move the chili cook-off to Sunday, February 11th. Once you register you agree to be present at the rain date, if necessary and you understand that the entry fee is nonrefundable.
- There will be prizes for First Place, Second Place, and Crowd Favorite. You are encouraged to decorate your booth, dress up and get crazy. Please do not plan to use any amplified sound since we will have live music going all day long.
- Upon purchase of tasting tickets, spectators will be given one special ticket that they will use to vote for the Crowd Favorite. Each person will use this ticket to vote for their favorite. The team with the most tickets wins the crowd favorite category.
- Chili will be turned in for judging at 1 PM on the day of the cook-off. Judges will base their votes on flavor, texture, consistency, spices, aroma, and color. Prizes will be awarded to First Place, Second Place, and Crowd Favorite. Prizes include a night at the San José, gift cards, trophies, and more!
This event will benefit Free Lunch.
Free Lunch ATX is a collective of Austin creatives who reduce food insecurity by growing, cooking, and serving food and engaging in food access advocacy by publishing a quarterly magazine. Our main focus is on the health of those who are experiencing homelessness in our community. If we want to successfully support them, we have to provide them with nutrients. It’s not just about eating; they need nourishment. Learn more about them by visiting their website.
Since 2005, Jo’s has hosted an annual Chili Cook-Off and benefit each winter. The event supports non-profit groups addressing hunger issues locally and draws amateur and professional culinary talent into a fierce battle for the prized trophy chili pot and other goodies.
Where is it happening?Jo's Coffee, 1300 South Congress Avenue, Austin, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays: