Sat Jun 24 2023 at 02:00 am
Urban Lounge | Salt Lake City, UT
Jesse Malin hits the US to tour behind the 20th anniversary expanded edition of THE FINE ART OF SELF DESTRUCTION
“Malin writes vivid songs with killer tunes and sings them with scary conviction.There is simply nothing more you can demand from a great rock record *****” THE TIMES
Released in 2003, ‘The Fine Art Of Self Destruction’ was the debut album by New York based singer-songwriter Jesse Malin. “It wasn’t named for drug or alcohol abuse,” he states. “It was more about a personal wreckage when I looked back on my life, from my parents' divorce to failed relationships, broken up bands, dropping out of school, crashing cars, breaking things. It was more of a spiritual journey in some sense. This record is definitely one of my favourites.”
To celebrate its 20th anniversary, ‘The Fine Art Of Self Destruction’ was reissued on 17th February 2023 in expanded form with a bonus disc of the album reimagined and re-recorded with Malin’s longtime band. The bonus material was produced by Derek Cruz and engineered by Geoff Sanoff, who worked on Jesse’s recent ‘Sunset Kids’ and ‘Sad And Beautiful World’ releases.
A video for a new version of the album song ‘Brooklyn’ entitled ‘Brooklyn (Walt Whitman in the Trash)’ that honours New York in days of yore has been directed by Catherine Popper and Vivian Wang. “Cat and Vivian have a great sense of beauty, art and decay,” Malin adds. “‘Brooklyn’ is about beginnings, those early days of innocence and big dreams that often collide with irreversible mistakes and regret. We try to find ways to accept the mistakes and look back with laughter, forgiveness and love.”
Following his teenage years in the pioneering hardcore band Heart Attack and his 20s fronting the wild and beloved D Generation, Malin took a cue from his songwriting heroes and was ready for a chance to stand alone. His solo debut was recorded over six days in New York City, live and raw.
“I was still learning how to sing and tell stories. These songs were written in a little apartment downtown, without a record deal, a manager, or any expectation of anything coming of it - just a need to write them.”
URBAN LOUNGE VENUE RULES
* No weapons of any kind.
* No outside beverages.
* No drugs or illicit substances.
* No smoking inside the venue.
* No unauthorized/unlicensed vending, soliciting, handbills, sampling, or giveaways.
* All served beverages must remain inside the venue and back patio area.
* No flash photography.
* No moshing, crowd-surfing, or stage diving.
* No pets allowed. Service animals must have identification.
* No backpacks or large bags. Small purses and fanny packs allowed but subject to search.
* Security reserves the right to search bags, perform pat-down checks, and refuse/revoke entry at their discretion. These reasons include intoxication, disturbing hygiene, engaging in hate speech, belligerent or noncompliant behavior, acts or threats of violence, disturbing other guests, etc.