In-Store: Bisi Adjapon: Daughter in Exile w/ Rakesh Satyal
Fri Feb 03 2023 at 07:00 pm to 08:00 pm
Books Are Magic Montague | Brooklyn, NY
About this Event
- All guests must be vaccinated to attend, and must provide proof of vaccination in order to enter event.
- All attendees must wear a face mask at all times.
- Tickets are limited to restrict capacity at our store, and each ticket will include either a copy of the featured book or a $10 Books Are Magic gift card.
- Additional copies of the book will be available for purchase at the event.
- A signing will follow the talk.
- Home address is collected for contact tracing purposes; it will not be used otherwise.
- The event will also be broadcast on YouTube:
- As a reminder: If you are not feeling well, please do not come to the event, even if you have a ticket; email us and we'll work it out.
If you have any questions regarding these guidelines or to request accessibility accommodations, please contact [email protected]
The acclaimed author of The Teller of Secrets returns with a gut-wrenching, yet heartwarming story about a young Ghanaian woman’s struggle to make a life in the US, and the challenges she must overcome.
At twenty-one, life in Senegal couldn’t be better for Lola. An aspiring writer and university graduate, she has a great job, a vibrant social life, and a future filled with possibility. But fate disrupts her world when she falls for Armand, an American Marine stationed at the U.S. Embassy. Her mother, a high court judge in Ghana who endeavors to keep her anchored to home, disapproves of her choice. Against her mother’s wishes, Lola plans a future with Armand. They invest in a business with the hope of settling into a life of ease in America.
But nothing is as simple as it seems.
The young African graduate has no idea that her real journey is just beginning: she has traded her care-free life in Senegal for the perilous existence of an undocumented immigrant in America, a life featuring a darkly comic catalog of Dickensian characters, not to mention a fundamentalist church. Harrowing, eye-opening, and utterly unforgettable, Daughter in Exile is a story about motherhood, love and what defines us all.
Bisi Adjapon is the author of critically acclaimed novel The Teller of Secrets. Her work has appeared in McSweeney’s Quarterly, Washington Post, Ms Magazine, Aljazeera, New York Times and The Guardian. She has won the Foreign Service Award for Human Relations and an Excellence in Teaching Award. She divides her time between Ghana and America.
Rakesh Satyal is an Executive Editor at HarperVia/HarperCollins and the author of the novels Blue Boy and No One Can Pronounce My Name.
Where is it happening?Books Are Magic Montague, 122 Montague Street, Brooklyn, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays:
USD 10.00 to USD 27.99