Handbuilding Ceramics Course- Sundays
Sun Jan 16 2022 at 03:00 pm to Sun Feb 20 2022 at 05:00 pm
Murray Hill Art Center | Jacksonville, FL
About this Event
In this course you’ll learn the basic techniques for constructing pottery and sculpture by hand, off of the potter’s wheel. We’ll go over three main techniques: the pinch method, coil building, and working with slabs. With these methods it’s possible to build a variety of different forms and objects, both functional and sculptural. By the end of this 6 week course, you’ll be taking home multiple pieces of your own that you build during the class. We’ll focus primarily on making functional pieces like cups and plates, but there will be opportunities to branch into your own areas of interest as well.
- 1/16/22 — Course introduction, studio tour, general information. Begin working on pieces using the Pinch Method. Cups or bowls.
- 1/23/22 —Introducing the Coil Method. Students work on vases or pitchers.
- 1/30/22 — Introducing the Slab Method. Students work on cups or plates.
- 2/6/22 — Students work on projects of their choice, with assistance as needed.
- 2/13 /22 — Students work on projects of their choice. Those who are interested learn other, more advanced applications for the three techniques, potentially sculpture of some sort.
- 2/20/22 — Demonstration on glazes.
Please bring a towel and wear non slip shoes. Closed toed shoes are not required but highly encouraged. An apron also isn’t required but suggested.
Where is it happening?Murray Hill Art Center, 4327 Kerle Street, Jacksonville, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays:
USD 30.00 to USD 130.00