FABSCRAP Volunteer: Monday, November 29, AM Session
Mon Nov 29 2021 at 09:00 am to 12:00 pm
Bok | Philadelphia, PA
About this Event
FABSCRAP needs your help to save designer textiles from landfill! Volunteers will sort through fabric samples and swatches, separating fabric from paper headers and folding large, usable fabric to be saved for reuse.
We are committed to keeping our volunteers, community, and team safe:
- Masks are required to enter the FABSCRAP warehouse and are mandatory inside BOK.
- Volunteer stations are spaced at least 6 feet apart
- Cleaning and sanitizing of volunteer stations and frequently touched surfaces will take place between all volunteer sessions
- The FABSCRAP team will be wearing masks at all times
- Gloves and hand sanitizer will be available
- We ask that volunteers cancel their session and stay home if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms including fever, cough, and/or gastro-intestinal issues (see additional info from the CDC). Additionally, please cancel your session and stay home if you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or had direct contact with an individual diagnosed with or suspected to have COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
Thank you for being part of our work and mission! When you sign up, please consider making a donation to keep us operational as a sustainable resource - FABSCRAP is the only option available for the fashion industry to recycle and redistribute unused material, and the most accessible way for consumers to find saved-from-landfill fabric, trim, leather, and yarn.
Please read below for additional information on volunteering, including other changes at the FABSCRAP warehouse due to COVID-19.
What to expect:
- Welcome: Intros and overview of FABSCRAP (10 minutes)
- Training: Learn how FABSCRAP sorts fabric for recycling (15 minutes)
- Sort: Sort through fabric samples and large pieces, pulling out usable fabrics for reuse and removing hardware and paper from fabric swatches for recycling (~2.5 hours)
- Shop for fabric! (1 hour)
***Sorting fabric requires the use of sharp scissors and moderate lifting (20-30 lbs). By registering for a session, you are confirming that you have read, understand, and agree to the volunteer waiver.***
Tips for a successful volunteer session:
- Dress comfortably and wear comfortable shoes as most volunteers sort while standing; we can provide chairs if you prefer to sit
- Bring your own bag to carry home any material you shop!
- We play music, but feel free to bring headphones
- Feel free to bring water or beverages with a cap/lid; there are also vending machines in the building
- As the weather gets cooler, windows will only be open for ventilation depending on outside temperature
- Please be sure to register for every session you plan to attend, and if you are unable to attend - especially if you are showing symptoms of COVID-19, have been diagnosed with COVID-19, or had direct contact with an individual diagnosed with or suspected to have COVID-19 in the past 14 days - cancel your ticket so that others may sign up for your space
As a thank-you for completing a 3 hour volunteer session, we’re happy to:
- Give you 5 pounds of fabric for FREE and a 30% volunteer discount on any additional material you’d like to purchase… OR
- Waive the fee for recycling personal sewing scraps, up to 10 pounds… OR
- Sign a community service form
***FABSCRAP is unable to accept used garments or home linens for recycling.***
THESE DIRECTIONS ARE IMPORTANT:
The FABSCRAP warehouse is located in Unit 601 within BOK, which is accessible by foot, bike/scooter, car, subway and bus.
SUBWAY: Broad Street Line to Snyder Station
BUS: 45, 47, 47M, 79 Lines
BIKE: Approach BOK’s Pedestrian Entrance on 821 Dudley Street, between 8th and 9th Street. Free outdoor bike parking is available next to the entrance on 9th Street. BOK is an Indego bike share location with a kiosk located on the corner of 8th and Mifflin Street.
Traveling I-95S, take Exit 20 for Columbus Boulevard towards Washington Avenue. Keep right at the fork, following signs for Snyder Avenue/ Oregon Avenue. Turn right onto South Christopher Columbus Boulevard/ Columbus Boulevard. Turn right onto Tasker Street. Turn left onto East Moyamensing Avenue. Turn right onto McKean Street. Turn right onto South 9th Street. Turn right at the first cross street onto Dudley Street. 821 Dudley Street is on the left.
Traveling I-95N, take Exit 17 to merge onto PA-611N/ South Broad Street towards Pattison Avenue. Turn right onto East Snyder Avenue. Turn left onto South 9th Street. Turn right onto Dudley Street. 821 Dudley Street is on the left.
Traveling I-76E, take Exit 350 to merge onto Packer Avenue. Turn right onto South 10th Street. Turn right onto West Oregon Avenue. Turn left onto South 9th Street. Turn right onto Dudley Street. 821 Dudley Street is on the left.
Traveling I-76W, take Exit 350 for 7th Street towards Packer Avenue. Keep left at the fork to continue towards South 7th Street. Turn left onto South 7th Street. Turn left onto West Shunk Street. Turn right onto South 9th Street. Turn right onto Dudley Street. 821 Dudley Street is on the left.
How to locate FABSCRAP within BOK:
From 821 Dudley Street (Visitor Entrance): Located on the south side of BOK.
***This route is accessible with ramps and elevators.***
Enter BOK through the colorful Dudley Street Public entrance and walk through the second set of green double doors.
Continue down the hallways and up the ramp until you reach the welcome desk. Then, turn left and continue down the hallway. Take another left right before the next set of double doors.
The west elevator is just around that corner- painted yellow and blue. We are on floor 6! Click 6 and eagerly await your arrival at our warehouse!
Where is it happening?Bok, 1901 South 9th Street, Philadelphia, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays: