FABSCRAP BKLYN Volunteer: Friday February 3, AM session
Fri Feb 03 2023 at 09:00 am to 12:00 pm
Brooklyn Army Terminal | Brooklyn, NY
About this Event
FABSCRAP needs your help to save designer textiles from landfill! As a volunteer, you will sort through fabric samples and swatches, readying them to be saved for reuse.
Thank you for wanting to be part of our work and mission! When you sign up, please consider also making a donation to keep us operational as a sustainable resource - FABSCRAP is the only option available for the fashion industry to recycle and redistribute unused material, and the most accessible way for consumers to find saved-from-landfill fabric, trim, leather, and yarn. Every dollar donated helps to further our mission!
When registering, choose:
- First Time Volunteer Sorter if this is your first time volunteering with us
- Returning Volunteer Sorter if you’ve sorted with us before
Please read below for additional information on your volunteering experience!
What to expect:
- Welcome: Intros and overview of FABSCRAP (10 minutes)
- Training: Learn how FABSCRAP sorts fabric for recycling (10 minutes)
- Sort: Sort through fabric samples and large pieces, pulling out usable fabrics for reuse and removing hardware and paper from fabric swatches for recycling (~2.5 hours)
- Shop for fabric! (after the sessions ends for 1 hour)
***Sorting fabric requires the use of sharp scissors and moderate lifting (up to 20 lbs). By registering for a session, you are confirming that you have read, understood, and agreed to the volunteer waiver.***
Tips for a successful volunteer session:
- Dress comfortably and wear comfortable shoes as most volunteers sort while standing; we can provide chairs if you prefer to sit
- Bring your own bag to carry home any material you shop!
- We play music, but feel free to bring headphones
- Feel free to bring water or beverages with a cap/lid; there are also vending machines in the entrance of the building
- As the weather gets cooler, windows will only be open for ventilation depending on outside temperature
- Please be sure to register for every session you plan to attend, and have any guests who want to accompany you register as well.
As a thank-you for completing a 3 hour volunteer session, we’re happy to:
- Give you 5 pounds of fabric for FREE and a 30% volunteer discount on any additional material you’d like to purchase…
- Waive the fee for recycling personal sewing scraps, up to 10 pounds and a 30% discount on any materials you purchase
***FABSCRAP does not accept used garments or home linens for recycling.***
Want to get even more involved? After volunteering 10 or more times, you are eligible to become a Reuse Volunteer! Reuse Volunteers help process materials for our reuse room after they leave the volunteer sorting tables. It’s a great opportunity to get even more involved in our operations! We monitor our Eventbrite registrations closely. If you think you may have completed 10 sorting sessions and did not receive an invitation to sign up, let us know at [email protected] using the email you register for sessions with.
We are committed to keeping our volunteers, community, and team safe:
- Masks are required to enter the FABSCRAP warehouse and are mandatory on the Brooklyn Army Terminal premises. The FABSCRAP team will be wearing masks at all times.
- Volunteer stations are comfortably spaced apart for individual use (unless you opt to share with a friend)
- Cleaning and sanitizing of volunteer stations and frequently touched surfaces will take place between all volunteer sessions
- A First Aid kit, gloves and hand sanitizer will be available
DIRECTIONS ARE IMPORTANT:
The FABSCRAP warehouse is located in Building B within the Brooklyn Army Terminal (BAT), which is accessible by foot, bike/scooter, car, subway, bus, and ferry. Free indoor and outdoor bike parking is available at BAT Building B entrances (58th Street). This entrance is fully accessible. Free, secure on-site parking is available for cars at the Pier 4/NYC Ferry parking lot.
How to locate FABSCRAP within BAT: Our website has in-depth directions with pictures to make sure you are easily able to find us!
Where is it happening?Brooklyn Army Terminal, 140 58th Street, Brooklyn, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays: