Exploring the Upper West Side, from 116th to 103rd Streets
Sat Dec 04 2021 at 12:00 pm to 02:00 pm
Columbia University (In Front of Main Gates) | New York, NY
About this Event
Thanks in part to one of the most famous streets in the world — and the first subway line in New York City running right underneath it — the Upper West Side transformed from a rural landscape to one of the city's most desirable neighborhoods seemingly overnight. But how exactly did the neighborhood change with the building of Broadway, and what relics of its storied past still exist? This is the story of one of New York's most storied neighborhoods, and the drama and scandals it had along the way.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the secrets of the Upper West Side, one of the most desirable and influential neighborhoods in New York City that is steeped in entertainment, crime, and history.
Led by NYC Tour Guide and Upper West Side resident Gary Dennis, our unique experience between 116th and 103rd Streets along Broadway will include:
- The importance of Broadway, and its evolution from a dirt path to one of the most famous streets in the world in just a century
- How the neighborhood became home to an eclectic mix of residents and industries, including wealthy and renowned industrialists, retailers, doctors, inventors, artists, actors, musicians and the movie business
- An Art Deco Himalayan-mountain-of-a-building with an incredible past, not to mention being the "spooky building" inspiration in one of the biggest movies of all time
- A look at a row of historic mansions built for the wealthy, one of which played a role in a notorious crime in the 1930s
- Mentions of buildings, monuments, and other large structures that are no more, including concepts that would have transformed the neighborhood had they left the drawing board
- Famous film and TV shows that were shot in the neighborhood
See you there!
*Please bring water and comfortable shoes as we’ll be on our feet for most of the tour
**This tour concludes at Broadway and 103 Street
About Gary Dennis
"I am a native New Yorker, NY subway aficionado, and product of an insanely competitive family of "know it alls". My parents, younger brothers, and I all love New York City history, and to get some parental attention I had to be historically correct and entertaining at the same time.
"I love this city and all its peculiarities, and I love sharing it with newcomers, returning visitors or native New Yorkers— I'll tell you these and other fascinating things you never knew about this amazing place I call home because 'there are 8 million stories in the naked city' and I will share with you as many as possible."
Event takes place rain or shine.
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Categories: In-Person, Neighborhood Tours
Where is it happening?Columbia University (In Front of Main Gates), Broadway and 116th Street, New York, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays: