Class: Producing Your Own LIVE Sketch Comedy Shows (Thursdays 8-10 pm)
Thu Jan 18 2024 at 08:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Station Theater | Houston, TX
About this Event
This eight-week in-person course explores the process of producing and directing a live sketch show from start to finish. Upon completing this class, you will be fully prepared to produce your own sketch comedy shows from start to finish. The strategies covered can also be applied to other types of live performances.
The final project will be the collaborative production of a full-length sketch show.
- Planning Basics: Organization Tools, Production Strategies, Budget
- Directing: Selecting Scripts, Show Themes, Casting, Running Order, Organizing the Process from Table Read to Live Show
- People Management: Group Dynamics, Managing & Running Rehearsals, Diversity in Casting
- Blocking: Action for Stage, Integration of Video & Audio, Stage Picture, Props, Costumes
- Marketing & Promotion: Helpful Tools, PR, Promotions / Street Team, Advertising – Paid vs. Unpaid
- Tech: Survey of Tech Tools, Best Practices for Tech Rehearsals, How to Create DIY Tech & Foley
- Show Day Management: Show Timing, Preparation, Managing Show Day Expectations
- Students must be 18 years or older.
- All classes will be in-person.
- This class may have some writing homework.
- Laptop or notebook and pen required.
- Prerequisite: Long Form Improv Level 1 (or equivalent) and Sketch Writing 1 encouraged.
- All students must follow policies in the Station Theater Student & Performer Handbook.
- Classes are non-refundable, but enrollment can be deferred to a future class.
2219 Crockett St #C2 | Houston, TX 77007
| [email protected] | 832.786.0413
PARKING & TRANSPORTATION
Located next to Toros HTX Soccer on Crockett between Taylor and Hemphill Streets.
Ample street parking is available along Crockett, Hemphill, Summer, and Taylor Streets. Make sure to check street signs for parking availability. Please do not park in the lot in front of Toros HTX unless they are closed. Please be mindful when parking in front of area homes, as some driveways are difficult to see. The #30 bus stops at Sawyer St and Shearn St, which is approximately a 2-minute walk. See attached photo of our building for reference.
- Show/Ticket FAQ: https://www.stationtheater.com/faq
- COVID-19 Information: https://www.stationtheater.com/covid-19
- Contact Us: Phone/text - 832.786.0413; E-mail [email protected]
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTORS: JESSE GARSON & JESSICA BROWN
Jesse and Jessica have co-executive produced more than 30 sketch comedy and variety shows for 80s Kids Comedy since 2016.
J ESSE GARSON
Jesse Garson has been writing and directing sketch comedy since 1990, in addition to telling the same terrible jokes. He began creating short video sketches with other students at the High School for Performing and Visual Arts in Houston, and went on to hone his stage acting chops at Massachusetts' Hampshire College. He worked in Los Angeles for many years, writing, and directing DVD special features and doing voiceover for video games and animated shorts.
In 2010, he taught actors how to write and produce their own short content as part of Theatrics LLC. He co-wrote character-driven improv scenes in the web-series Beckinfield, which included a cast of hundreds of performers from all over the world, including Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek TNG, Burn Notice). He frequently appeared in the comedy rock operettas of rock legends Beans Barton and Bi-Peds as the “Bi-Vid” — a living camera and self-contained TV studio.
Jesse has also been writing, producing, and acting in sketch comedy at Station Theater since 2016. Once he made it through the improv program there, he grew determined to continue hanging out with the theater's community. He co-developed Station Theater's current sketch program after years of learning the ropes as an actor, writer, producer, and director for BlueShift shows, ‘80s Kids Comedy variety and sketch shows, and working with countless wildly talented local creatives.
He continues to develop ridiculous costumes and puppets in his spare time.
As Executive Director of Station Theater, Jessica oversees all aspects of Houston's leading long-form improv and sketch comedy theater and training center. She has produced hundreds of improv and sketch comedy shows, as well as three comedy festivals.
Jessica has been an improv and sketch comedy instructor at Station Theater since 2014. She started her training in improvisation in 2009 with ComedySportz Houston and has since completed programs with Rogue Improv and Station Theater, as well as the Musical Improv and Advanced Musical Improv programs at Merlin Works Austin. She continues to study with improv and sketch comedy inspirations every chance she gets.
Jessica's comedy festival performances include Trill Comedy Festival, Chicago Improv Festival, Improv Festival Oklahoma, Houston Fringe Festival, Houston Improv Festival, Improv Wins, and Megaphone Marathons. She currently performs with 80s Kids Comedy, Discord & Rhyme Musical Improv, Chuck + Jess, and Long-Distance Dedication.
Where is it happening?Station Theater, 2219 Crockett St #C2, Houston, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays: