Capstone California: Introduction Level 1
Tue Jul 11 2023 at 07:00 pm to 09:00 pm
MWM Wine School by Debra Meiburg MW | Hong Kong, HK
AdvertisementCourse: 11, 18, 25 Jul (Tue)
10% off for 2 persons
Curious about the the forth largest wine producing region in the world – California? Seeking to strengthen your knowledge about viticulture and vinification after WSET Level 2 or 3? Capstone California Level 1 is for you!
As the first stage of the California Wine certification program, this course discusses not only the history and major regions (Napa, Sonoma, Santa Barbara) of California, but also provides a surprisingly comprehensive details on geography, climate, soil, viticulture and winemaking, as well as styles of major grape varieties.
Study Capstone California Level 1 at MWM Wine School
- Improve tasting technique via sampling of 18+ wines
- Access to Capstone California online materials, including presentation and quizzes 24 x 7, for one year after the course start
- Get the certificate of Level 1 and prepare for the Level 2 certification program
The Introductory Level 1 covers:
- Major eras in the history of California wine, including the Mission era, post-Gold Rush, Prohibition, and modern times.
- Learn how California’s geography, the Pacific Ocean and mountain ranges affect viticulture and wine styles.
- Acquire fundamental knowledge of grape-growing practices and the specifics of viticulture compared to other agriculture, including the ability to identify and describe the important grape varieties grown in California.
- Receive an introduction to the American Viticultural Area (AVA) system, including the world-famous AVAs of Napa Valley, Sonoma County and Santa Barbara County.
- Explore California’s iconic wineries, such as Ridge Vineyards, Frog’s Leap Winery and Robert Mondavi Winery.
- Learn about the key statistics for California wine in global production, consumption and exports.
The definitive Wine Certification Program for California Wines, created by internationally recognised California wine experts, including Master Sommelier and Author Evan Goldstein, supported and recognised by California Wine Institute.
The program was originally developed for online self-study, with four levels, from novice (no wine knowledge required) to expert. Since 2022, the program is brought into the classroom with interaction and tasting components.
Each level of the Capstone Program builds upon the previous one and covers history, geography, climate, soils, grapes, viticulture, vinification, aging/maturation, wine law, official classifications, terminology, producers, vintages and the business of wine. Upon successful completion of an exam, you will receive a Capstone California wine certificate, providing the knowledge to move on to the next level.
Ms. Anty Fung
A DipWSET, Certified Sommelier and Certified Specialist of Wine, Anty currently divides her time between managing Hip Cellar, a professional wine storage and a wine-and-dine concept AnOther Place, developing profile variety for the online wine trading platform WWXplorer and teaching WSET courses at MWM Wine School by Debra Meiburg MW. Anty has diversified her global understanding of wine and food and beverage management with professional exposure in Hong Kong, Las Vegas and Maldives
Completion of WSET Level 2 Award in Wine or equivalent recommended
All applicants must be over 18+
10 tutoring hours + Online Study
50 multiple-choice questions
60% passing grade
Where is it happening?MWM Wine School by Debra Meiburg MW, MWM Space, 9/F, 236 Aberdeen Main Road,Aberdeen, Hong Kong
Event Location & Nearby Stays: