A Glimpse of What's To Come: Central Park Theater
Sat Sep 18 2021 at 12:00 pm to 05:00 pm
3531 W Roosevelt Rd | Chicago, IL
About this Event
Join us for live entertainment, food, and the opportunity to learn more about the historical significance and restoration project of the Central Park Theater! Built in 1914, this was the first theater to have air-conditioning and the site of significant arts and culture performances, and will be reactivated for your enjoyment. Featuring:
- Live performances by local DJs and theater organizations,
- Architectural tours of the historic theater interior by Preservation Chicago,
- Local food and merchandise vendors from the North Lawndale community,
- A “Back to School” giveaway with backpacks and school supplies hosted by the Church of God in Christ,
- Collection of oral histories of your memories of the theater with the North Lawndale Historical and Cultural Society,
- Engage the redevelopment project by completing a survey about the future of the building as a new arts and culture hub for the North Lawndale community
- An unveiling of a new architecture installation by Manuel Herz Architects, an office for architecture and urban planning, based in Basel, Switzerland and Cologne, Germany, commissioned as part of the Chicago Architecture Biennial.
The event is free and open to the public. This event is in collaboration with the Chicago Architecture Biennial and supports the mission of restoring this space for community needs and use.
Event Access: Only the first floor of the Central Park Theatre is wheelchair accessible. The building does not have an elevator. The outside portion of the event is wheelchair accessible. Tour guides will use a microphone to amplify sound. If you are in need of an interpreter or other forms of accommodations please reach out to [email protected]
Organized by the Central Park Theater Restoration Committee and the Chicago Architecture Biennial. In partnership with: North Lawndale Historical & Cultural Society; Preservation Chicago; House of Prayer Church of God in Christ; School of the Art Institute of Chicago; Jewish United Fund; and Future Firm.
Where is it happening?3531 W Roosevelt Rd, 3531 West Roosevelt Road, Chicago, United States