ʻĀina-Informatics: Place-based Genome Science PD for Maui County Educators
Sat Mar 11 2023 at 09:00 am to Sun Mar 12 2023 at 03:00 pm
Malcolm Center - MEDB | Kihei, HI
About this Event
ʻIolani Schoolʻs ʻĀina-Informatics Network is a hui of educators advancing place-based and ethics-centered education in genetics and genomics. Our hands-on curriculum is powered by a mobile DNA sequencing lab, and we provide in-class support through classroom visits and equipment loans. We invite grade 7-12 life sciences kumu from Maui, Molokaʻi* & Lanaʻi* to join us for a 2-day, in-person teacher workshop that will introduce both foundational and advanced methods in genome science, bioinformatics and bioethics for the local classroom.
- When: Saturday and Sunday, March 11-12, 2023, 9am - 3pm
- Where: MEDB - Malcolm Center
Coffee and lunch provided on both days for registered participants.
Workshop topics (final agenda TBD**):
- Place-based PCR projects
- Sequencing projects
- Bioinformatics for the high school classroom
- Pono bioethics in genomics and biotechnology
* A limited number of scholarships to help offset travel costs are available to Molokaʻi & Lanaʻi educators. Inquire here.
**A final agenda will be determined based on the number of registered participants.
Where is it happening?Malcolm Center - MEDB, 1305 North Holopono Street, Kihei, United States
Event Location & Nearby Stays: